Sunday, September 27, 2009

Homecoming

Last week I returned from a brief visit in God's Country. I always go up for a week in the summer and this year my visit coincided with my parent's High School reunion. I stopped in north Florida on the way up to pick up my Aunt to take her to the reunion as well.

The visit was from the 17th until the 22nd. For part of the week I was on my own while mama, daddy and Aunt Beck attended the reunion.

On the way to God's Country, the weather turned and the rains began to fall. Little did I know that over the next few days the area would see continuous rain and flooding. Not exactly Chamber of Commerce weather for a visit!

I left God's Country in 1982 and haven't made it my home since then, however there is something about that little piece of heaven that will always be my HOME.

Cresting the mountains with a view of the landscape below always makes me feel at peace. There is something about that little town, that I grew up in, that reminds me of a hand sewn quilt wrapped around me on a cold winter's day.

The little town hasn't changed a great deal in the years since I left. There is now a Wal-Mart, Home Depot and McDonalds, and the main road in is 4 lanes but the fabric of the community remains the same.

In God's Country people take pride in their community, their family and their country in a way that is reminiscent of a time gone by. In God's Country people know their neighbors and take care of them. These qualities are like the ones I have found in my new home, in a small Town, something I haven't known since I left my childhood home and something I appreciate more with each passing year.

We moved into our present home when I was only six, not long after Tom died. It is a split level home with great room, master bedroom and bath downstairs and three bedrooms and a bath upstairs. Turning off the main road headed east and onto the road of my youth looks the same today as it did when we moved in.

There is something about turning into the driveway that brings me back to my childhood and the memories of a time when life was easier and less hectic.

I have turned down that driveway thousands of times over the years, in good times, in bad times and on days that were just as basic as any can imagine. Turning down the driveway and seeing the home of my youth at the other end is one of the most peaceful feelings I feel because it is here, that I am truly HOME. No matter how many cities I live in, no matter how many homes I own, this one will always be special.

Like so many times before, the minute I park the car daddy is out the door waiting to embrace me and welcome me home. On this trip it was no different, he was there, smiling, embracing and telling me he loves me. HOME

I don't think I have ever in my entire life walked through the front door of that house. The door into the kitchen is where everyone enters. As a child we always knew when a stranger was at the door because the front doorbell would ring, invited guests, drop ins and family use the kitchen door.

Not much has really changed in the house since I was a kid, the walls may be a different color, the carpets new and furniture upgraded, but the bones of the house are still the same.

Same Formica counter tops in the kitchen, the dining room table that we have shared so many meals on has been there since I was in high school. Two stuffed recliners, big sofa, coffee table.

A great rock fireplace anchors the room flanked by shelves overflowing with tchotchkes from throughout our lives. The ceramic lion Sam made in art class, the old man with hat that I made in art class, bronzed baby booties, the family Bible, precious photos and yearbooks from every year since the 60's all hold a place of honor on this wall that marks the times of our lives.

Dropping my bags in my bedroom I look around. Nothing has changed there since the day I left in 1982, same bed, same furniture, my old stereo sits silent and the bulletin board is still filled with memories of High School. My room is the blue room. Sam occupied the red room and the gold room was planned for Tom, the colors of each room marked by the carpet colors. So many memories overflow from these rooms, HOME.

When I visit God's Country I usually try to spend at least one day on Main Street, checking out the antique stores and galleries. This year with the rains I didn't get that opportunity. I did take a road trip with my nephew Zack to Asheville, but other than that I stayed close to home.

This trip was spent talking with family, eating the foods I love more than any other and soaking up the love of that old house. Sadly I know that one day this will no longer be OUR house. Someone else will move in and make it their own, but for now I want to let all the love found between those walls soak into my veins and fill me.

Homecomings are good if for no other reason than to recapture a time when life seemed simpler a time when the love of family made you know you were truly HOME!

No comments:

Post a Comment