Monday, June 1, 2009

Staple of the Southern Kitchen ~ Black Iron Frying Pan


Long before Teflon, aluminum, stainless steel or copper the cast iron frying pan was an essential staple for any southern kitchen. Available in a variety of shapes and sizes, the Black Iron Frying Pan has been used for all varieties of cooking.


Often passed down from generation to generation, the Black Iron Frying Pan never looses its ability to cook a masterful meal. Mama used her fry pans often and for numerous dishes. She would fry chicken, pork chops or cubed steak and then use the remnants for gravy. There is something about those old frying pans that capture flavors and cook with an even golden brown, unlike the pans of today.


I have seen mama cook an entire meal in one fry pan, of course back in the day we fried most everything, but even with today's cooking styles, the old black frying pan can be used for stir-fry or a baking dish.


Several years ago, daddy picked up a number of fry pans at a yard sale, he gave me three. A small, medium and large pan. After years of cooking, I felt complete now that I had my own. You can buy them in the store, but honestly it takes years of use before a black fry pan is cured just right


When I got my fry pans daddy gave me a few lessons on how to take care of them.


Never, ever, never, never, never put an Iron frying pan in the dishwasher...NEVER! Always wash the fry pan with soap and water in the sink.


If you store an iron frying pan in the oven it will cure quicker. If I am cooking something in the oven I leave my stored pans there, something about the constant heat just helps them get better and better.


I use my fry pans for everything but my favorite dishes are fried chicken, okra and cornbread. The heat, the consistency and the versatility makes a Black Iron Frying Pan a Staple for any Southern Kitchen.

3 comments:

  1. Gor, Maw Martin only ever used sand and water on her cast irons. Course, she was born in 1897 and cooked on a cast iron stove with her cast iron pans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really miss okra now that I live up North. . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I bought my house through costa rica homes for sale
    I expected to have a big stove in the kitchen with a huge space, now I am really happy because I can cook every kind of recipe in my huge stove. I really love it.

    ReplyDelete