Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Phone Call that Changed My Life.... Chapter 3

Making my way into the "Gathering Place" of the United Methodist Church of the Palm Beaches was a big step for me.  I had no idea that this would be the first step of many that would be life altering because of UMCPB.

I grew up in the Church, so attending services wasn't anything I was unaccustomed to.  From an early age many of my fondest memories revolved around Clayton Baptist Church.  Rev. Sam Letson was my first pastor, his son Sammy one of my best friends. 

My Church friends from Clayton Baptist Church were some that I still think of fondly today.  Fred, Michael, Patty, Kristina, Tracy, Warren, Brian, Jill and many others.  I grew up with these kids.  Together we sang in choirs, did musical productions, attended Bible School, led Youth Sunday and so much more. 

Whether they knew it or not, these people helped to shape my life.  Others shaped my life as well.  Winona Gates, a gentle woman who started out as a piano player in my Youth Choir and later became a role model and confidant. 

Mrs. Gates is the kind of woman who touches lives by example.  No great speeches, no parables, just grace and example.  When I go to God's Country I make it a point of seeing Mrs. Gates when I visit CBC. 

Standing in the receiving line at the funeral home when mama passed away was incredibly difficult.  I remember seeing Mrs. Gates face come around the corner and got a sense of peace, that is the kind of woman Winona Gates is. 

I had a Sunday School teacher named Ted Law for several of my formidable years.  Coach  Law (in addition to being a Sunday School teacher, he was also a High School Basketball Coach) already seemed old when I was a kid, it was probably his grey hair because he wasn't much older than I am now when I first began going to his Sunday School class. 

Coach Law challenged our class of boys.  He challenged us to be young men, respect others and lead by example, not falling into the wrong crowd. 

Another thing Coach Law taught was responsibility. 

Sunday School and Church were not something that was done sometimes, it was our responsibility to be in Sunday School and Church EVERY Sunday.  For some reason that responsibility made its way into my 10 year old brain and I latched onto it.

The year before my friend Brian had gotten a perfect attendance pin and I decided I wanted one too.  That bright shiny pin looked so impressive on the lapel of his jacket and caught the light just so as to glisten when he walked.

I accepted Coach Law's challenge and decided I would receive my perfect attendance pin for Sunday School.  I got my initial pin, I also got year two and year three. 

Getting to Sunday School every week wasn't always easy, but mama and daddy knew it meant a lot to me.  When we were out of town, they found a church where I could attend Sunday School.

When I was 11, I had my tonsils out, mama invited the entire Sunday School to our house for class, just so I wouldn't be counted absent.

When I was 12, a group of families went camping for the weekend.  We set up camp on the river.  The only way into the campground was with a 4-wheel drive vehicle. 

Sunday morning came and as mama and I prepared to leave for Sunday School, all of the kids in the campground decided they were going too. 

Instead of taking our Jeep, we all loaded into one of the pick-up trucks there.  There were three of us in the front seat with mama driving and 4 boys in the back of the truck. (In the 70's it wasn't that big of a deal for kids to ride in the back of a pick-up truck.)

As we made our way down the small winding dirt road around the river, the truck lost its grip on the road.  The next thing you knew we were rolling down an embankment, kids thrown out of the back of the truck and onto the ground.

The wreck looked bad and the truck was totaled, thankfully no one was seriously hurt.  Just bruises, a few cuts and some stitches.

I missed Sunday School that week, we all missed Sunday School that week.  I was heartbroken, not only were we in a wreck, but my streak was broken, there would be no perfect attendance pin.

Without my knowledge mama spoke to Coach Law and told him we were on our way to Sunday School when we had the wreck.

That year when Perfect Attendance Pins were presented they called my name.  It was explained that I did miss a Sunday, but I was on my way and sometimes God puts obstacles in front of us that prevent us from reaching our intended goal. 

On an early morning, in the backwoods of North Georgia, as a truck flipped down and embankment, God put one of those challenges in front of me, a challenge that would teach me a lesson I still carry today.  It wasn't anything earth shaking, it was a lesson of perseverance.

I could have missed more Sundays after that week, but I didn't.  I kept going and didn't miss another week.  I was awarded that perfect attendance pin and I never felt like it was a "gimme" I earned it and wore it with pride as the lights flickered off my lapel.

I learned a lot in that Church growing up.  The lessons I learned formed me in many ways into who I am today.  The cornerstones of my character were molded there in that small Church, with my friends, leaders and examples I still remember today.

As often happens, I moved away from the Church when I was in college.  I was experiencing life on my own, learning and accepting who I was and spreading my wings.

As I came to an acceptance of who I am, I wasn't so sure I was welcome in Church.  This God who I had been told loved me, allowed his more vocal  "followers" to persecute me.  Was this really the God of love for everyone or only those who fit a certain mold?

As I searched for answers through my 20's, I longed for Church, but not the narrow-minded "spokespeople" who made up the Church.  While living in Atlanta, I made friends with a couple of guys who told me about a Church they were attending.

A Methodist Church in Midtown Atlanta, not far from my house.  I attended with them and found a Church where all were welcome, all were loved and the true examples of God I longed for were found. 

In that Church I learned that the "spokespeople" who jumped in front of a television camera at every opportunity were not the Christians I would encounter.  I learned that true Christians love everyone, we love each for our struggles, our weaknesses, our defeats and our victories.

I learned these Christians were the same ones who loved me as a child, the people who shaped my life and led by example.  Through my journey, I learned that where God is truly present, there lies love and grace as well. 

I had many examples of that grace throughout my life.  On the day that I first walked into the United Methodist Church of the Palm Beaches, I wondered which Church I would find.  The Church of persecution, or the Church of love and grace.

From the moment I walked through the doors, I knew I had found the latter.  My walk with Christ has only been strengthened by the UMCPB family and through that journey I have found new leaders, people who lead by example, show love and grace.

Much like my childhood Church home, UMCPB has become my adult Church home, a journey that continues to evolve.

To Be Continued.....

2 comments:

  1. It is very difficult as an adult gay man to give church and religion any place of prominence in my life, but posts like this are a good reminder of all the other things that church communities have to offer. And I think the truth of the matter is that we would both be very different people today if we didn't have that as children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. JP, I think you are right, but I also think that Churches like the one I have found are more the majority than not. It is just the "spokespeople" who are the most vocal make it difficult for others to feel welcome and loved.

    ReplyDelete