Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Shining Cross




People ask me from time to time, why I call my hometown God's Country. It began as a joke between Sam and I. When I moved to Florida and I would tell him about some of the shenanigans going on here, he would shoot back with a quick "we don't have those problems here in God's Country."

For me, God's Country is a place of idyllic beauty. Where the people care for each other, the seasons each bring forth rich balance and a simplistic peace flows like a river through the land. Basically, my hometown is as close to God's Country as I have ever known.

Nestled in the north Georgia mountains this beautiful utopia has thrived for many years. This earthly God's Country isn't perfect, the problems found in all society are there, but there is something about that place that gives me peace. It is like the mountains that surround the land insulates it from many of the troubles found just over the ridge.

Overlooking God's Country stands Black Rock Mountain. At the very top the land has been designated a State park and people come from far and wide to hike, camp and admire the beautiful scenery from its look out.

As I was growing up, Black Rock Mountain was a beacon for family picnics, camping trips and Easter Sunrise, but in mind the true beacon of Black Rock was the lighted cross.

Standing atop the mountain and off to the side of the state park was a beautiful lighted cross, standing 40 - 50' high. Each night at sunset, the cross would illuminate as if to protect those beneath it for the night. The cross on Black Rock Mountain was a symbol, not necessarily a religious symbol, but a symbol for the community.

I was raised to respect the cross for the Christian symbol of Jesus dying for my sins, but for others it had different personal significance.

Every night that cross would light up and it could be seen from miles away, a lighted cross shining as a beacon for those below. During the Christmas season, the cross would change. From Thanksgiving to New Year's, the cross would become either a Christmas tree or star, honestly I don't remember which, I just remember it would change.

Immediately after the New Year it would change back to that beautiful cross.

That cross on the top of Black Rock was a symbol for our town, one that gave us pride and shown as a light for all those who saw it.

Sometime in the early 70's the State of Georgia was sued over the cross on top of Black Rock. The cross had to come down because it was viewed as promoting the Christian religion on state land. I am a firm believer in the separation of Church and State, however as is often the case, the cross on Black Rock and the citizens of God's Country became the victims of someone trying to make a point and serving their own agenda instead of the public at large.

I don't know, but I am sure the person who brought the suit probably wasn't a resident of the town, but someone who heard about it or saw it passing through and decided they were offended by what it stood for.

For many years, we were without our cross. Somehow the nights seemed darker without that light standing guard over our town. The town went on, it didn't crumble, but when you looked to the mountains there was always something missing.

About a year ago, mama told me that the cross was back on Black Rock. I couldn't have been more happy.

This summer when I made my annual trek to God's Country, one of the things on my to do list was to see the cross. I had heard it was even more magnificent than it was when I was young.

Because of the torrential rains and flooding when I was there, I didn't get out much and a nighttime drive to see the cross was out of the question.

On the morning I left to come back to Florida the rains had subsided and a heavy coating of fog coated the countryside. As I was making my way down Smith Hill leading to the highway home, there it was.... the cross.

Caressed by a blanket of fog, the cross illuminated the landscape.

The cross now stands on land that is privately owned so as not to interfere with any one's "personal liberties," but it stands and it glows!

That cross that for so many years burned with radiance, was dark and now glows again, the cross still stands.

I got a sense of peace driving out of town that morning after seeing the cross. Once again the beacon had returned and it shined brighter than ever.



UPDATE:



One of my readers, Marianne Wilson, just sent me this photo of the cross on Black Rock. Now you can see for yourself how magnificent it is. Thanks Marianne!

No comments:

Post a Comment