Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Staple of the Southern Kitchen - Buttermilk


Wikipedia describes buttermilk as the liquid left over from churning butter from creme.

The southern kitchen describes buttermilk as a delicacy.

In the south, we love our buttermilk. A staple of the southern kitchen, buttermilk can always be found in the refrigerator. It is used in baking and general cooking.

One of daddy's favorite meals is buttermilk and cornbread. Not buttermilk IN cornbread, but buttermilk AND cornbread.

I can still hear daddy, after a long weekend proclaiming, "mama I just want buttermilk and cornbread for supper." (Daddy calls mama, mama too!)

Buttermilk and cornbread is something I have never eaten, but as served to daddy it was a big glass of buttermilk with cornbread broken up in it. Daddy loves that meal and still eats it today.

Mama always used buttermilk in biscuits, ma-ma used in when she baked cakes and I have seen people drink it right out of a glass.

Buttermilk is a true southern staple.

A couple of years ago, when I finally learned how to make cornbread I learned to appreciate buttermilk. Now, as hard as it is to find sometimes, I keep it for my own cooking purposes.

Although I have never done it, I have heard of people who dredge their chicken or country fried steak in buttermilk before cooking. Some people even dip okra and other vegetables in buttermilk before frying, since I am not much of a "dredger" I don't use buttermilk for such purposes, but I can certainly see how it would enrich the flavors.

Buttermilk, does the body good.

1 comment:

  1. My grandma in Texas often made buttermilk pies. They're so simple to make and sure are good eating!

    Actually, I like a glass of buttermilk with sugar in it. MMMmmm!

    ReplyDelete