Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Gift

I was born on April 28th, 1964... yes, I will be 46 this week.  Daddy was born 33 years prior, I was born on his birthday.

Growing up friends and family never made me feel like my birthday was HIS birthday nor his birthday MY birthday, we celebrated together but it was always made special for each of us.

On my 12th birthday and Daddy's 45th mama threw a surprise party for us both.  I went home with a friend after school and daddy went somewhere.  When we got home later that afternoon all the neighbors and friends for each of us was there.

That birthday mama and daddy gave me a motorcycle.  I never asked for a motorcycle, but I got one.  I rode it sporadically at best, but daddy LOVED riding that motorcycle and it quickly became more his gift than mine, which was appropriate.

For years that motorcycle sat in the garage and every now and then daddy would take it for a ride.  Every now and again he tells us he is going to buy another one, which I quickly explain to him is not a good idea!

Since I was little, daddy has always told me I was the best gift he ever got for his birthday.... that's pretty nice praise for a child. 

I may not have always realized it, but getting him for a daddy was the best gift I ever got for my birthday as well.  I was born to a man who honors his family above all else, a man who loves, laughs and lives life to the fullest.

Daddy is an example of what a father should be.

I didn't always understand that and sometimes when he was tough on me, I thought I was cursed, but then you grow up and realize his influence and strong hand and stronger love shaped me into the man I am today.

As a teacher and Coach, daddy molded hundreds of kids in the mountains of God's Country into the adults they are today, generation after generation has been touched by his influence, strong hand and love.

It is nice to look back at 46 and see the man I called daddy as an influence in so many lives.  I used to be jealous that so many students had his time, today I realize, he has so much to give; if only Sam and I would have gotten it his gift for life would have been wasted.

I am the one who got the best birthday gift, the gift of love, laughter and respect for the man who has lived his life giving to so many.

Happy Birthday Daddy, I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment